The Purpose of Fasting
1. It teaches us something about ourselves. It reveals the things that control us.
2. It teaches us something about God. It reminds us that we are sustained by God.
3. It helps us lead a balanced life.
The Practice of Fasting
1. If you are not accustomed to fasting, you may want to drink fruit juices during the fast in addition to water.
2. Don’t try to “stock up” before the fast begins. The best meal to begin a period of fasting is fresh fruits and vegetables.
3. You will probably feel some hunger pangs or discomfort before the time is complete. This is not real hunger – your stomach has been trained through years of conditioning to give signals of hunger at certain times.
4. Use normal meal times as prayer/meditation times.
5. The fast should be broken with a light meal of fruits and vegetables.
6. The most critical element is not what happens physically, but what happens spiritually.
The Spiritual Focus of Fasting
1. Meditate on God’s love and gift of life to us in Jesus.
2. Pray for God to reveal an issue of spiritual growth in your life.
3. Pray for your family. Ask God to show you how you can be a positive spiritual influence on your family and among your friends.
4. Pray for your church. Pray for people to respond to the grace of God for salvation. Pray for your church leaders to have clear direction. Pray for your pastoral staff and families. Ask God to help you be obedient to fulfill your part in the mission of our Church.